Do things get better with age? You can hope. That thought is also cause to improve on the basics of the teledentistry user-experience (UX).
Teledentistry has been around for longer than you might be aware. The service has gradually evolved since approximately 2010.
Then the entire telehealth environment - including teledentistry - surged during the 2019 COVID-19 pandemic. The good news for you and your patients - it hasn’t “aged” out of its usefulness.
Why teledentistry is sticking-around
Problems or challenges drive innovation. Care gaps broadened during the COVID-19 pandemic…for necessary reasons.
On this side of the pandemic there’s equally necessary (and good) reasons to stay the course with teledentistry.
- Virtual patient follow-up care without scheduled chair-time
- Virtual second-opinions that save time and costs for patients
- Virtual care solutions that provide care access to under-resourced communities and senior patient caregivers or family
- Virtual options for patient triage, dental emergencies, and patients with anxiety
Suffice to say, teledentistry is “aging” well. And the waves of innovation for virtual dental care will increase.
”…the need to continue to implement this tech-forward, hybrid approach to dentistry and recognize its ability to improve practice efficiency, enhance patient experience, and increase overall access to dental care may rise to the forefront as the market sees a need for this newer option.” 
The basics of those efficiency and experience improvements are key to a sustainable virtual dental care environment.
The basics of a sustainable teledentistry UX
Technology is at the core of the patient experience around teledentistry. The quality and capability of your platform will help assure that your UX is positive.
Ease of use is the priority whether you’re providing a synchronous (real-time) or an asynchronous (stored data) appointment. The scheduling process, information capture, and tech-interface must be as accessible as possible.
On the practical side of a virtual patient visit the following basics factor into a sustainable teledentistry UX.
Time and data options should be clear. It’s also a good idea to provide patients an online scheduling portal and an automated “add-to-calendar” feature.
2-A technology checklist
Clarify the tech requirements and options patients can use for their virtual visit.
- Internet connectivity
- Smart device (phone, tablet, etc)
- Personal computer or laptop
Also assure them of your teledentistry platform’s security and compliance benefits.
3-FAQs and step-by-step instructions
Provide clear details about the virtual visit access and appointment details.
- Listen to your patient’s feedback and reviews to maintain a relevant and updated teledentistry FAQ page.
- Provide troubleshooting information and secondary contact information if they need assistance prior to or during their virtual visit.
4-Educate and promote teledentistry
It’s important to keep patients informed about virtual dental care. While doing so, remind your patients that teledentistry is an option (not a replacement) for in-person appointments.
- Provide a list that highlights the type of appointments that are suited to teledentistry.
- Educate your patients and the dental-seeking public about the availability of teledentistry and the practical aspects of a virtual visit.
- Create and publish content that promotes your teledentistry services.
- Share patient reviews (with permission) about their teledentistry appointment.
The viability of your teledentistry platform relies on the user-experience around it. Master the basics as you innovate patient care opportunities using teledentistry.
Explore these resources for more insight into teledentistry implementation:
Design a memorable UX using a dedicated, secure, and full-capacity teledentistry platform
Teledentix is an innovative, turn-key teledentistry solution created by Virtual Dental Care. The all-in-one platform will enable you to adapt teledentistry to your patient care and extend your services beyond the walls of your dental practice…and improve your patient care in the process.
- Teledentix provides an easy-to-use video conferencing tool that’s secure, HIPAA compliant, and specific to dentistry.
- Teledentix Basic is a perfect starting point. Begin with a free trial and then transition to a very low monthly fee. You and your patients can join unlimited video conferences including screen-share, file-share, video-share, and real-time chat communications.
LEARN MORE about the Teledentix platform.