When hosting a Teledentix virtual visit, it is important to ensure that the professional standards of in-person care are maintained in a virtual environment. Use the points below as a guide for your Teledentix visits.
The list below is not exhaustive, but rather some key considerations to make when preparing to conduct teledentistry visits.
- Ensure privacy (HIPAA)
- Clinically appropriate exam room location, size, and layout
- Avoid background noise
- Adequate lighting for clinical assessment
- Desktop computer vs tablet
- High speed internet
- Web camera
- Dual screens for EHR documentation note-taking
- The same level of professional attire as in-person care.
- Turn off other web applications and all notifications
- Review patient complaints and records before beginning call
- Adjust webcam to eye level to ensure contact
- Narrate actions with patient (if you need to turn away, look down to take notes, etc.)
- Verbalize and clarify next steps, such as followup appointments, care plan, or prescription orders
- Pause to allow transmission delay
- Speak clearly and deliberately
- Choose empathetic language
- Use non-verbal language to signal that you are listening